Vacancy: nGAP Lecturer in Information Systems

13 May 2024
13 May 2024

The Department of Information Systems in the Faculty of Commerce under the auspices of the New Generation of Academics Programme (nGAP) funded by the Department of Higher Education is seeking to appoint a nGAP Lecturer (Phase 9): Information Systems for a full-time permanent position. This appointment will be made in terms of the purposes outlined in the Staffing South African Universities Framework (SSAUF). For more information please see      

The Department of Information Systems offers a range of qualifications and courses, accommodating students from 1st year to PhD levels. For more information, visit the IS Department website.

The most important features of the nGAP Programme are that: 1) the successful applicant will be appointed into a permanent post and be firmly factored into the long-term staffing plans of the department right from the outset; 2) the appointment will be governed by contracts that clearly spell out the expectations, obligations, roles and responsibilities of the university and of the newly appointed academic; 3) the successful applicant must be registered for a doctorate, with substantially reduced teaching responsibilities, while studying; and 4) be provided mentoring in order to nurture their academic career.

The nGAP period of appointment is structured as follows in order to allow the appointee to complete a PhD and to acquire research and teaching skills:

  • In the first three years of employment, 80% of time is allocated to research and PhD studies with the remaining 20% towards teaching and administrative duties
  • In the fourth year of employment, 50% of time is allocated to research and PhD studies with the remaining 50% towards teaching and administrative duties
  • In the fifth and sixth years of the programme the appointee performs duties as per the department norms followed by continuing permanent employment at the appointing institution thereafter.

Requirements for the position:

  • Master’s degree in Information Systems or closely related discipline, with a 70% pass or above. If Master’s degree is not linked to a percentage pass or if less than 70% is obtained, then specific evidence of ‘high academic ability’ must be provided (e.g. publication details, thesis).
  • Must be accepted to study for PhD in Information Systems and must be registered for the degree by early 2025, or must be currently enrolled for a PhD in Information Systems.
  • Practical work experience in an Information Systems/Information Technology role, or prior experience in an academic role (e.g. as Lecturer/Tutor/Research Assistant, etc.)

Key responsibilities include:

  • Lecture on Information Systems courses at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level
  • Supervise postgraduate students on research projects (e.g. Honours, Masters)
  • Conduct academic research aligned with CITANDA themes
  • Disseminate knowledge through publication of research in various outlets (e.g. journal articles, full paper peer-reviewed conference papers, peer-reviewed books and book chapters, etc.)
  • Contribute to leadership and/or administration roles at course, departmental, Faculty and/or University level, as appropriate to the job level
  • Use academic skills to provide service to bodies outside of the university (e.g. professional society, government agency, NGO, community group, etc.)

The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is R853 709.

To apply, please visit the UCT Internal Careers site (For Internal Applicants) and UCT Careers site (For external Applicants) to create a profile and submit your application.

Please complete/attach the following to your profile before submitting your application:

  • A letter of motivation
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Three referee names which must include their title and name, position details, relationship to you, their e-mail address, and telephone number

Shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo competency assessments and deliver a presentation to the department. References may be requested by UCT at any stage of the selection process.

Any inquiries for this position are to be addressed to Ms Abigail Dixon at or 021 650 1673.

Closing Date: 29 May 2024                            


UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under- represented designated groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at


UCT reserves the right not to appoint.